Not all it's cracked up to be

"Crack is whack."
                                                                                                                 - Whitney Houston 

I'm a little late jumping on the Crack Pie bandwagon but on Monday I finally found an excuse to make it.  The recipe is from Momofuku, a trendy restaurant and bar in New York City.  This pie costs $44 if you want to buy one from their Milk Bar and has a major following.  Earlier this year the L.A. Times published a recipe for it and it's been sweeping the blogs since.  With a name like Crack Pie, it's gotta be good, right?  Well, Monday was Mr. T and my two year wedding anniversary so I used it as an excuse to make the pie, which contains butter, lots of sugar, egg yolks, all in a homemade oatmeal cookie crust and weighs in at a whopping 432 calories per slice.  We didn't get around to eating the pie until the next day because we had an amazing dinner at Bar La Grassa (I highly recommend the soft egg and lobster bruschetta--to die for!) and we were too stuffed to eat anything else.  We finally settle in after dinner on Tuesday with a slice each of Crack Pie, although the creator of the pie recommends that you eat it "with a spoon, while it's still in the pie plate, with your favorite someone."  While Mr. T quite liked it, I thought that it was just too sweet for my taste.  I didn't dislike it.  The filling is buttery and sweet, not unlike a pecan pie without the pecans, and the crust it crunchy and just a little bit salty.  The crust is definitely the best part.  I'm not saying that I won't enjoy eating the rest of the Crack Pie, I just won't be needing to go into rehab any time soon.

2 comments:

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

Happy Anniversary, Mr and Mrs T! Glad we don't need an intervention! :)

OzB said...

Happy Anniversary! And the Crack Pie looks great :-)