What's in Your Fridge?





During the week, I am the last person home each day, and for the most part, dinner is usually being put on the table as I walk in the door.  This is an absolute blessing.  For the most part.  Mr. J is very skilled in cooking tuna noodle casseroles (after many years of mishaps), warming up frozen dinners, and slow-cooking roasts in the crock pot.  He is a lover of rice and convenience.  And he is the king of the barbeque.  The girls are more than pleased with what he has to offer.   But every now and then, I will rush home a bit early before he wakes up, and I will start dinner from scratch.  I'll root through the fridge and dig up all the vegetables and place them on the counter.  I'll pull out a grapefruit-sized lump of bread dough and throw it on the stone to rise.  I'll heat up the oven, and chop veggies to my heart's content.  Sometimes, I'll end up with a salad.  Other times, an omelette.  More often than not, a soup.  Today it was cheese omelettes for three of us, noodles for the littlest, a romaine salad with all the goodies above, and a potato leek soup for tomorrow's dinner.  I find so much satisfaction from these impromptu cooking extravaganzas.  I also appreciate that my little family doesn't rely on them happening consistently. :)   'Cause sometimes I come home pooped!   Now if only getting homework completed was just as easy . . .

N

NOTE: Those wack-a-doodle carrots were yanked out of my friend's garden on the weekend, and they are perhaps the sweetest carrots I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.  I ate half that bowl raw.  I wonder if she needs me to visit this weekend coming up.  Hmm . . .

3 comments:

knitty_kat said...

She grew carrots?!? OMG, I just started drooling! I'm going to sit by my phone & wait for her to call me now! :)

OzB said...

Home grown carotts are the yummiest! I love your cooking explorations! I honestly thought you were making a pizza LOL. Surprise LOL.

Maybe I'm thinking pizza cos I just built one and it's in the oven baking..mmm...pizzah!

Knit and Purl Mama said...

I've been so out of it lately to figure out dinners. I really have been slacking. I find being very pregnant and motivation to cook or bake VERY difficult. :(

Hopefully I'll get my mojo back soon.